Friday, February 9, 2024

City of Lights & (Il)legal vibes (10)

 


Epilogue

The most striking feature in my quest for justice is that stumbling blocks have come from the very institutions designed to protect citizens like me. These institutions failed miserably to perform their duty. It took HC intervention for justice to be delivered. Along the way, there were immense mental harassment and unspeakable public humiliation.

 

This incident is remarkable for various reasons. First and the most obvious is that justice was restored only after HC intervention whereas it's loss was egregious in the lower court. Secondly, if I being a government official have to wage such a battle to get the justice that is my right, what happens to ordinary citizens seeking justice can easily be comprehended. Thirdly, this is a blatant instance of connivance between the lower judiciary and the lawyers, which underscores the fact that lawyers are above the law of the land. This unholy nexus is truly alarming.

 

The rule of law prevailed at the end, but it should not be denied in the first place.


Acknowledgements

This story is very close to my heart because it’s based on my real-life experience. Maya Angelou wrote, “There is no greater agony than bearing an untold story inside you.” As I bare my heart in this story, I become free of that agony.

Some thank yous are in order:

Fellow officers of Hooghly district, Moumita, Manasree, Sreanwita, Jayanti di, Hooghly District Registration Employees Association and all my well-wishers in the department for their unwavering support during trying times. I owe a lot to all of you.

Lawyers of Diamond Harbour Sub-Divisional Court for always standing by me through thick and thin.

Moumita, Manasree, Sreanwita and Dipayan for reading the manuscript of this story and giving thoughtful feedback.


References

·  “Investigation to Trial: The Book for a Common Man: Criminal Law” by Abhilash Malhotra

·       West Bengal Legal Services Authority (https://wbslsa.bangla.gov.in)

·       https://www.criminaladvocate.in

·       Shivam Goel: LinkedIn


Image Source: Unsplash

No comments:

Post a Comment