Saturday, October 29, 2016

Review: One Indian Girl

One Indian Girl

My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Read a Chetan Bhagat book after a long time. I am not a great fan of Bhagat's writing and so I don't usually buy his books. But the reason for picking this book was the feminist tag it carries. But the book is a huge disappointment on that front. I had a pre-conceived notion about the book that it had a strong female protagonist. The main character of the book, Radhika Mehta, is a highly successful woman on professional front, but she is anything but strong. She suffers from such low self-esteem that she constantly needs a man in her life to validate her. She went as far as having affair with a married guy, father of two kids, who is also twenty years older than her. And not just that, her every relationship culminates into physical relationship. This is hardly acceptable given the fact that Radhika hails from a conservative family. I'd have loved to read a story about love. But sadly Radhika equates love with lust. Personally I couldn't relate to the character. At the end of the novel, you'll fail to fall in love with the characters. The male characters, Debu and Neel, are all assholes. The character of Brijesh is "too good to be true". Personally, I feel the character of Radhika's mother and Aditi didi are more believable.

Anyway, the flow of the novel is good. It keeps the readers hooked up till the end. A three-star rating for that. Otherwise, it's not that kind of book which you'll want to re-read.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment