Thursday, April 14, 2022

Oh Dear



Oh dear,
When I look back and see you, young and gullible, my heart goes out to you. It's your D-day and you are looking resplendent bedecked in that exquisite red banarashee saree. Your kohl-rimmed eyes have taken on a new brilliance today in anticipation of stepping into a new phase of your life. How I wish your coming days to be as fragrant as the tuberose flowers in that garland that you're wearing now, as redolent as the dots of sandalwood paste adorning your forehead! But to your utter dismay, that's not how things are going to pan out in your future. Your effervescent smile breaks my heart. I want to take the innocuous bride-to-be in my arms and whisper in her ear, "Hey girl! You're going to make the biggest mistake of your life which will alter the course of your life irrevocably. All through your life, you'll regret this one mistake that you're going to commit today. But the flow of time is unidirectional. No matter how hard I try, I can't turn the clock back and warn you of your impending misfortune. And you, blissfully unaware of all the heartache, misery and sorrow that are waiting in your path, are heading in the wrong direction. But all I know for now is that you have the resilience to go through the darkness with grace and dignity. And I love you unconditionally, whole-heartedly, no matter what comes.

With love,
Your 37-years-old future self.

No comments:

Post a Comment