Thursday, June 28, 2018

Letter to The Person who have been an Inspiration Behind My Writing

Dear once-used-to-be-mine husband,

You may be surprised to know that if there is one person, who have inspired my writing career, then it's you. You may be perplexed to read the preceding sentence. But it's completely true. Why? Let me tell you a story at first which I read somewhere recently.

"The eminent American writer Ernest Hemmingway was once asked by a novice, 'Tell me, Sir, tell me where I should travel and what I should see and experience so that I can become a great writer like you.'

Hemmingway replied in his typical casual manner. 'Start with yourself, young man. Take a length of a rope and go into your backyard and try and hang yourself. Assuming that you don't succeed and you survive, sit down and write about it.'

This is because to be a writer, you must write about what is closest and most familiar to you. It is only then that you will be able to write with passion, incisiveness and conviction."

And so, I started writing about the most familiar things. When I write about pain, I recall the pain that you inflicted on me. When I write about love, I recall your love for me. I was a naive girl cocooned in my own little world before I got married to you. You made me to experience the magic of love, the joy of motherhood, the pain of separation, the depression associated with parting with a partner. I never knew that I can write. I never imagined that one day people will appreciate me for a faculty of mine which was even unknown to me: my writing.

You taught me a lot of things. Today I want to thank you for one more thing for which I never got the opportunity to thank you in person - for bringing out the writer in me. I started writing only after separation. If you were beside for for the rest of my life, I might have remained that naive girl for an entire you.

Thanks,
Once-yours-and-only-yours wife.

Write Tribe Festival Of Words June 2018
#writebravely
#Day6
For day six, I chose the following creative writing prompt:
Day 6 – Jun 29
Write a letter to a person who supported your writing career, whether that be a friend, a family member, a teacher (even one that supported you at a very young age before you knew that it would blossom into a writing career), an author you’ve never met but have been inspired…

No comments:

Post a Comment