Sunday, June 24, 2018

Life Lessons from the Past

"The past can hurt. But the way I see it, you can either run from it, or learn from it." 
- The Lion King

Yes, the past can hurt so much. And who can understand this fact better than me. The trauma of going through a broken marriage has taught me how difficult it can be to forget a painful past. So finally, after all the struggles to forget that episode of my life, I have given up. Now I have decided to learn from my past, instead of running from it.

"My room is like a bit of June,
Warm and close-curtained fold on fold,

But somewhere, like a homeless child,
My heart is crying in the cold."

---- Sara Teasdale
And now I have decided never to let my heart cry again. Now I know what I want from my life, from my relationships. I do not let my love to be the one-way traffic anymore. I look for reciprocity in all my relationships. For now I know that it takes the sincere efforts of both the persons involved to make a relationship thrive.


Another important lesson that I've learnt from my past is to never keep the key to my happiness in another person's pocket. There is an infinite fountain of joy within each of us. In our quest to find happiness from another people, we often tend to forget our true inner self. Now I have learnt to look inwards for happiness.

After learning all the lessons that my past has taught me, I am in a relationship with myself currently. Like all 'normal' relationships, this relationship too has it's own share of ups and downs. There are times when I feel upbeat about myself and the world around me, work hard on my professional commitments, try to squeeze as much time as possible for my son, read a lot of books and laugh with gay abandon. Then there are the dreaded times when a cloud of despair cover my conscience. This phase comes suddenly, like that uninvited guest in your house. During these times when I feel very low, I find solace in my spirituality and my writing. I am a changed person now. My past has taught me to love myself first before I can claim love back from the earth.




#writebravely
#Day1
For day one, I chose the following quote prompt:
Day 1 – Jun 24 – “The past can hurt. But the way I see it, you can either run from it, or learn from it.” – The Lion King

No comments:

Post a Comment